In 1903, Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration (FSPA) of La Crosse, WI, accepted the mission of a new hospital in Carroll, Iowa. The cornerstone was laid on August 2, 1903 and two years later St. Anthony Hospital was dedicated.
Many FSPA ministered at St. Anthony throughout the years in clerical, domestic, nursing, records management and administrative roles. Today, St. Anthony Regional Hospital serves the region of west central Iowa, offers independent and assisted living services, operates seven clinics and offers advanced specialties including radiation/oncology and obstetrics. FSPA transferred sponsorship of St. Anthony Regional Hospital organization to St. Anthony Ministries on August 14, 2018.
We honor and celebrate the FSPA years of service to the healing and education ministries of Jesus.
Doing the good of what is ours to do today.
We are all called by God to serve others, and St. Anthony Ministries is one way of answering God’s call to serve. Our mission and ministry will always be guided by the teachings of Jesus while using FSPA history and Franciscan values as our guides.
Committing to a call to service and stewardship means sharing the gifts God has entrusted to us. In doing so, St. Anthony will continue the promise FSPA has fulfilled to provide outstanding health care while ensuring the care we deliver — especially for the poor and vulnerable members of our society — is for both the body as well as the spiritual wellbeing.