BLOGS from St. Anthony
Let's Get Biking!
Still trying to find a workout that isn’t ‘hard work’? Or makes you feel like a kid again? How about biking? Below are some safety tips, ideas, and benefits for putting the “FUN” back into physical activity with biking.
- Essential equipment to make your activity safe includes a bike and a helmet that correctly fits your head.
- Know your route: is it a car-free area? Follow the rules of the road if not in a car-free area.
- Consider borrowing a bike from a friend or neighbor to try before you buy.
- Ease into your biking activity, starting with 10 minutes a few days of the week, working up to the recommended 150 minutes of moderate activity each week or more.
- Biking puts less stress on your joints than some other common activities such as running and walking.
- Pending intensity and speed, biking can potentially burn 200-500 calories or more for 30 minutes.
- Invite a family member or friend to join you, biking can be a great way to site see and get social! Try the Sauk Rail Trail, a 33-mile asphalt multi-use recreational trail spanning across parts of Carroll and Sac County.
- Biking what a great way to enjoy the outdoors. If you aren’t able to bike outdoors due to the weather or other circumstances, consider indoor cycling on a stationary or recumbent bike. There are many options at local gyms.
Let’s all get moving this summer!
This message is brought to you by Cara Vogl, ARNP, BC-ADM from the Chronic Care Center, Diabetes Services.
Take charge of your health today! Chronic Care services are available through self-referral, or physician referral sources. Call (712) 794-5901 or email the Chronic Care Center to find out more!