BLOGS from St. Anthony
Nowadays it feels like lives are busier than ever and taking time to prepare and cook a homemade meal almost seems impossible. Having your pantry stocked with the right ingredients can make cooking a family dinner a breeze. Plus you can rest easy knowing your family is eating a balanced nutritious meal.
Keep your pantry stocked with these staples for quick and easy dishes.
- Frozen or canned vegetables with no salt added (green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and peas)
- Whole grains: microwave brown rice or quinoa pouches, whole grain pasta, and whole wheat tortillas
- Frozen fruit or canned fruit in its own juice
- Whole wheat pizza dough
- Frozen or canned poultry or seafood
- Canned beans with no salt added
Here are some quick balanced meals you can whip up in minimal time.
- Baked chicken with sautéed or steamed frozen vegetables and brown rice
- Breakfast burrito with scrambled eggs, frozen peppers and/or spinach and shredded cheese on a whole wheat tortilla
- Quinoa bowl with black beans, any vegetables you have on hand (corn, carrots, steam broccoli, avocados, and or cherry tomatoes), and a sauce or dressing of your choice (salsa, hot sauce, or olive oil and lemon juice)
Find more healthy eating tips at www.MyPlate.gov.
Madison Hemer, Registered Dietitian
St. Anthony Chronic Care Center