Rehabilitation Services at St. Anthony Regional Hospital offers a multidisciplinary approach of physical, occupational and speech therapy, as well as athletic training and exercise physiology to Carroll and the surrounding area. The services provided are offered to all ages and include a variety of settings, including hospital inpatient and outpatient, at home through Home Health Services, in the Nursing Home and through Hospice.
To Schedule an appointment call 712-794-5000.
St. Anthony's Staff of Rehabilitation Services Professionals include:
Jeff Aden, PT
Sheila Dentlinger, PT
Sheri Wanniger, PT
Karen Koster, PT
Melanie Hundling, PT
Chris Woerdehoff, PT
Alex Halbur, PTA
Katie Schelle, PTA
Sandy Theulen, PTA
Elaine Aden, PTA
Barb Sturm, PTA
Jaime Weitl, OTR/L, CLT
Judy Miriovsky, OTR/L
Kelli Reis, OTR/L
Ashley Hugeback, COTA
Kristi Pottebaum, COTA
Leah Lechtenberg, SLP
Tammie Hulsing, SLP
Katelyn Goettsch, SLP
Steve Schable, ATC
Susan Glass, MS, Certified Personal Trainer
Rehab Department Techs
Physical Therapy Services include:
- Treatment of orthopedic/musculoskeletal problems, including complete neck, back, and spinal care with emphasis on treatment, education and prevention
- Sports injury and post-surgical rehabilitation
- Neurological re-education to increase function and independence
- Strength & flexibility testing
- Burn and wound care
Pediatric neuro -developmental therapy
Lymphedema mangement and treatment
Occupational Therapy provides services for people of all ages who, because of illness, injury, developmental, or psychological impairment, need specialized assistance to lead independent, productive, and satisfying lives.
Medical conditions in which occupational therapist assist with, include but are not limited to, orthopedic or musculoskeletal injuries to upper extremities, stroke, spinal cord injury, total joint replacements, arthritis, Parkinson’s Disease, cancer, lymphedema, Alzheimer or other neurological conditions, learning disabilities, developmental delays, autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, ADHD, and traumatic brain injury.
Occupational Therapy Services include:
Evaluation of each individual’s abilities to participate in everyday activities including but not limited to dressing, bathing, feeding, toileting, grooming, cooking, medication management, shopping, money management, cleaning, laundry, handwriting, shoe tying and other clothing fasteners, play/leisure activities, work activities, etc.
Individualized treatments to regained loss function in strength, endurance, balance, coordination, range of motion, pain, swelling/edema, attention to task, memory, problem solving, safety awareness, sensory difficulties, behavior modification, etc
Adapting or modifying the environment or the task in order for the individual to still be able to participate while lost function is improving or when lost function is not able to be regained. This can include home or job site analysis and instruction in adaptive equipment.
Custom splinting/orthotic fitting for upper extremities Instruction and/or in-service to family, co-workers, staff members, or caregivers, for maximum functional performance.
The St. Anthony Rehabilitation Department is proud to provide the most comprehensive team approach to occupational medicine/industrial rehabilitation in Carroll and surrounding communities. Our Return to Work Program targets workers who are unable to complete their work tasks due to injury both on and off the job.
The goal of the RTW program is to get employees back to work promptly, safely and conditioned for their current or future work requirements. We also offer pre-employment testing and screening, tailoring the testing protocols to the specific demands of the job. Job site assessments are also offered to businesses of all sizes and work settings.
The Rehabilitation Services Department’s Industrial Rehabilitation/Return-to-Work Program involves a variety of rehabilitation disciplines that work together with the patient and employer:
Overview: Speech therapy services are available for patients of all ages by a licensed and trained Speech Language Pathologist. Services provide evaluation and treatment in the areas of speech, language, cognition, voice, swallowing, and augmentative communication.
Common deficits are in the areas of apraxia, aphasia, articulation, augmentative communication, dysarthria, expressive language disorders, receptive language disorders, oral motor disorders, voice disorders, fluency, swallowing, and pragmatic disorders.
Common diagnoses treated include: developmental delay, speech/language delay, stroke, Parkinson’s, MS, dementia, autism, cerebral palsy, cancer, ALS, TBI, and more.
Patients must be referred by their physician for therapy services. A standardized evaluation will be completed along with informal assessment and patient/parent report. Based on the findings of the assessment and information gathered, treatment may be recommended if it is found to be medically necessary. Treatment frequency and duration will be determined by the individual needs of the patient.
For all patients regardless of age and deficit, we work with you and your family to determine your goals and to help you make functional improvements to enhance your quality of life.
• Communication: Both expressive and receptive language skills can be treated with focus on the patient being able to meet all their wants and needs.
• Cognitive deficits: Common issues which can be addressed are memory, attention, and problem solving. Compensatory strategies are introduced to help the patient completed activities in their daily life.
• Voice disorders: Hoarseness and breathiness are two common characteristics which may arise from a neurological disorder or from how the patient miss uses their voice. Treatment focuses on how a patient uses their voice and strategies to improve their quality of voice in their everyday life.
• Dysphagia: Clinical swallow evaluation or modified barium swallow studies are available to assess a patient’s swallow. Diet modification will be recommended as appropriate as well as oral motor exercises to improve the strength of the swallow mechanism.
• Speech: A delay in development of speech or poor intelligibility due to errors in pronouncing words. Treatment will focus on age appropriate goals to make improvements.
• Language: Ability to use speech such as increasing sentence length or plural /s/ as well as the ability to understand speech such as basic concepts on/off/under/over.
• Behaviors/Social Skills: Inappropriate behaviors for a patient’s age can be addressed as well as social skills. Behavior charts and visual schedules may be developed to assist in treatment.
• Myofunctional deficit: Tongue thrust evaluation and treatments are available. Tongue thrust is a forward tongue placement during swallowing pattern and can also occur in speech. This habit forces constant pressure behind the front teeth which will cause misalignment. Therapy focus is on correcting habit and learning the correct swallow pattern.
The Athletic Training Program is designed to provide a safe playing environment and to assure coaches, players and parents that St. Anthony is committed to the well-being of the programs in their community. Working together with the physicians and therapists, rehab programs are individually designed to ensure a safe return to full activity for area athletes who sustain an injury.
Also offered is St. Anthony’s Sports Performance Program which is individually designed to maximize each athlete’s movement capabilities. Each program is carefully planned to meet the specific needs of both the athlete and the sport, in a safe, enjoyable atmosphere that encourages success. The program is designed with workouts consisting of exercises targeted toward speed and agility, power, strength, core strength and balance. For more information about the Sports Performance Program, contact Steve Schable, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Athletic Training Services Include:
- On-site coverage of athletic events
- Athletic screening and evaluation
- Sports injury management
- Clinical rehab programs
- Sports Performance Program
Examples of Sports Performance Records
Exercise Physiology Services Include:
A variety of fitness programs are supervised and developed by professional staff, including a personal trainer. These programs are available for patients who need continued conditioning, and community members who are interested in becoming more physically fit. Some of these programs are done in conjunction with the Carroll Recreation Center.
• Fitness for Life Personal Trainer Program
• Active Bodies class for those who wish to become more active
• Worksite stretching and conditioning
• Out-reach educational programs
• Education and support are included in all programs
The professional staff of St. Anthony Rehabilitation Services Department is available for speaking at outreach programs on a variety of subjects dealing with back care, fitness, occupational therapy, wellness, ergonomics, stress management, stretching, speech and communication, as well as other related topics. Call 712-794-5000 for more information.