November 2023 - The Pulse
DAISY Award Recipient - Madison Obmann!
Madison Obmann, RN, BSN was presented with the DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses at a reception with her family and co-workers on Monday. The award is part of the DAISY Foundation's program to recognize the super-human efforts nurses perform daily.
A portion of the nomination submission read: "Madison was the nurse for my 3-year-old son during an unexpected visit to the ER. My son was in a lot of pain, and I was very anxious to determine the cause, but I remember feeling relieved after just a few minutes of interacting with Madison. She worked quickly to get us the diagnostics and answers that we needed to reach a diagnosis. The whole time we were at the ER, I felt confident that she had our best interests at heart and really cared about what was happening to my son. When the EMS drivers prepared to transfer us to a larger hospital for emergency surgery, I was impressed and thankful for the attention to detail Madison showed in passing along key pieces of information to the EMS team. In a world where things can easily get missed, I felt like Madison showed extra effort to make sure that didn't happen. I will forever be grateful for her kindness and expertise during a very scary time for our family."
Madison began her career at St. Anthony in 2021 in the Emergency Department, and she also helps out ICU and MSP when needed. Madison is currently in the Family Nurse Practitioner program at Morningside and will complete it in May 2025.
Thank you, Madison, for going above and beyond for patients, families, and our community!
Halloween Costume Contest Winner - FrankenSIM in the Education Department!
If you have not had a chance to browse the department's Halloween costume photos, head to the St. Anthony Facebook page to take a look! Hope everyone had a great Halloween!
American Diabetes Month & A NEW Diabetes & Diabetes Prevention Support Group
November is American Diabetes Month; a time to educate and provide resources about diabetes. In addition to American Diabetes Month, the St. Anthony Chronic Care Center provides resources for people with diabetes, diabetes prevention resources and a variety of other services all year long. Pictured is the St. Anthony Diabetes Services Team: Madison Hemer, Deb Dieter and Cara Vogl, ARNP, BC-ADM.
Diabetes & Diabetes Prevention Support Group: Thursday, November 9
Are you or a loved one living with diabetes? Join our welcoming and supportive community to:
- Share your experiences and challenges
- Learn about diabetes management
- Gain valuable tips and resources
- Connect with others who understand
For more information, click here.
Treasuring Talent: Dawn Uhlenkamp & Barb Toohey
Treasuring Talent is a voluntary program established by the R3 Committee where individual employees are highlighted from our staff. The program is a way for our hospital, surrounding clinics & community to get to know and appreciate the incredible team of people serving at St. Anthony Regional Hospital.
Love your job at St. Anthony? Submit an entry to the R3 Committee to be featured!
The staff at St. Anthony go above and beyond by continuing their education! Certification demonstrates a professional commitment to promoting quality care to our patients, their families and community.
Congratulations to the following St. Anthony employees for their achievements!
- Brittany Boell, BSN, RN, PED-BC – through ANCC Pediatric Nursing Board Certification
- Patty Baumhover, BSN, RN, MEDSURG-BC, PED-BC – through ANCC Pediatric Nursing Board Certification
- Kelly Lee, RN, PED-BC—through ANCC Pediatric Nursing Board Certification
- Stephanie Neumayer, BSN, RN, MEDSURG-BC, PED-BC – through ANCC Pediatric Nursing Board Certification
- Tami Onken, BSN, RN CAPA—Certified Ambulatory Perianesthesia Nurse—though American Board of Perianesthesia Nursing Certification
- Christina Johnson BSN, RNC-NIC, PED-BC – Passed her Pediatric Specialty Certification exam through ANCC last week.
- Katie Towers BSN, RN, NPD-BC – Passed her Nursing Professional Development exam through ANCC yesterday
- Kaitlin Geake BSN, RN, CEN – Board of Certified Emergency Nursing
- Eva Patterson, BSN, RN, CEN – Board Certified Emergency Nursing
- Christian Debban, BSN, RN, CEN – Board Certified Emergency Nursing
Autumn Craft & Bake Sale: Monday, November 20
Are you crafty or love to bake? We hope you would consider donating an item to the LAST fundraising event for The St. Anthony Nursing Home to purchase an all-accessible bus.
The St. Anthony Autumn Craft and Bake Sale will be held in the Atrium on Monday, November 20 from 8 am – 1 pm. Bake sale items will be priced by the committee and there will be a silent auction for craft items. Craft items can be brought in at any time. Bake sale items will be brought the morning of November 20.
If you would like to donate a craft or bake sale item, please reach out to Chaplain Angelo at ext. 5434 or email@example.com.
Meet your new co-workers who joined us this past month.
- Aleshia Oakley – Food & Nutrition
- Regan Rowedder – Garden View
- Laura Sanders – MSP
Our condolences for your loss this past month
- Deb Burnett, BMU, for the loss of her sister-in-law
- Wendy Nelson, OB, for the loss of her grandmother.
- Melissa Schultes, Social Work, for the loss of her aunt.
- Teresa Snyder, Clinic, for the loss of her sister-in-law.
- Kathryn Drost, OB, for the loss of her uncle.
Does your department have a national recognition day/week/month coming up? Please send us your photos and information and we'll share it here! Thank you.
- National Alzheimer's Disease Awareness Month
- American Diabetes Month
- National Healthy Skin Month
- Lung Cancer Awareness
- National Hospice & Palliative Care Month
- Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month
- National Stomach Cancer Awareness Month
- World Pneumonia Day (Nov. 12)
- National Rural Health Day (Nov. 17)
- International Survivors of Suicide Loss Day (Nov. 19)
Let us share your stories! Tell us!
Debvember aka Deb Burnett Month-Long Birthday Celebration!
Ever heard of Debvember!? Let the Mental Health Services Teams explain.
Inpatient and Outpatient Mental Health are celebrating Debvember in the month of November! Earlier this week, the teams kicked it off by wearing Debvember shirts to celebrate and surprise our fearless leader, Deb Burnett.
Let's add to our team and refer our friends to job listings.
St. Anthony is one of the largest employers in the Carroll area with more than 700 skilled and dedicated staff. YOU can help add to our team by forwarding the careers link to others who may be a good fit. Thank you!
View Job Openings
Get Referrals. Get Rewarded. $1,000 Referral Bonus!
Employee Referral Program
- Organization-wide program.
- Earn up to $1,000 for a referral that is hired into a part-time or full-time position (based on eligibility and guidelines).
- Available via paper form on FastFlow.
Best wishes to our co-workers who celebrate their special day this month. Click here for the full list.
St. Anthony Foundation News: St. Anthony Gala
The St. Anthony Gala Committee has been working diligently to prepare for the BIG event on Saturday, November 18. The event is officially sold out thanks to the generous sponsors and support from St. Anthony employees and medical staff. Soon the online silent auction and online raffle tickets will be available! Anyone is welcome to purchase raffle tickets and bid on silent auction items. You do not need to be present to win. More to come!
The St. Anthony Auxiliary has over 300 Members!
Auxiliary members interact with patients and their families regularly as they manage the Coffee and Gift Shop, assist at the visitor reception desk, and help with Mass in the nursing home.
Auxiliary members also work diligently behind the scenes to provide additional care and comfort to patients. Many Auxilians offer their talent by knitting or crocheting blankets to gift to babies born at The Birth Place at St. Anthony. Also, Auxiliary members make prayer shawls, which are donated to the spiritual care program to provide comfort to St. Anthony patients.
If you have items to submit for The PULSE, please contact Brandi Strautman. Thank you.
Published on the First Friday of each month