Posted Date: 10/1/2022
Job Location: St. Anthony Regional Hospital, 311 South Clark St, PO Box 628, Carroll, IA, 51401
Department: Health Information Management
Employment Type: Part-Time
Codes physician charts from the clinic, applying current coding guidelines and practices. Also codes physician inpatient rounding charges for designated providers who have hospital privileges.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Assembles, analyzes and codes various records using ICD-10-CM codes. These codes are then entered into the computer.
• Reviews and assigns appropriate CPT codes for various clinic charts.
• Monitors coding for incomplete charts – routing charts to appropriate areas for completion.
• Answers the telephone in a professional and courteous manner, ensuring that the HIPAA guidelines for confidentiality are followed.
• Complies with the Corporate Compliance Policy and all laws, regulations and Standards of Conduct relating to the position and agrees to report any suspected violations of law or Standards of Conduct.
• Complies with all applicable state and federal regulations.
• Works willingly and accepts assignments as given.
• Attends all mandatory meetings and programs.
• Participates in opportunities that enhance personal and professional growth.
• Maintains a safe work environment using safe work practices, utilizing standard precautions and complying with hazardous waste procedures at all times as described in St. Anthony's Safety Manual.
• Maintains the confidentiality of patient, resident, employee and organizational information.
• Performs other duties as necessary or assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
• Associates degree in Health Information Technology or related field and/or a coding certificate from an accredited entity such as AHIMA or AAPC is required; Or 2 years of coding experience with the ability to obtain coding certification within a designated period of time.
Position Requirements, Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Excellent typing skills required.
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• May be required to fill in at other positions in the HIM Department.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before customers, patients, families and employees of the organization.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
If you have further questions, please call the Human Resources Department at 712-794-5111.