Posted Date: 9/26/2022
Job Location: St. Anthony Regional Hospital, 311 South Clark St, PO Box 628, Carroll, IA, 51401
Department: Home Health/Hospice
Employment Type: Full-Time
Under the general supervision of the Director, ensures and provides quality and safe delivery of Home Health and Hospice services to clients of all age groups according to established agency policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluates referred patients for nursing care according to agency policies for Home Health and Hospice services.
- Initiates plan of care, reviews and revises on an ongoing basis for agency clients with input from client/family and approval of physician.
- Coordinates Hospice plan of care with interdisciplinary team and other agencies when appropriate.
- Assesses patient’s physical, emotional, psychosocial and disability status through observation, and analysis of records and develops patient care plans using the nursing process.
- Reevaluates patient’s needs regularly and reports significant observations/changes to patient’s physician and/or agency Director or Nurse Supervisor.
- Carries out prescribed treatments for patients in accordance with physician’s orders.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills with agency staff, physicians, patients/family, other hospital departments and community resources.
- Assists in the development of the discharge or transfer plan along with the physician, patient/family and other resources to provide for continuity of care.
- Demonstrates effective teaching to patient/family/caregivers regarding diagnosis, cares/treatments, medications and follow up care within their abilities.
- Maintains patient charts appropriately and ensures charting is done within specified time limits.
- Works independently and effectively with minimal supervision and is cost effective in use of time and supplies.
- Supervises Home Care Aides and interprets plans to such personnel.
- Assists with orientation, instruction, training, and supervision of subordinate personnel and peers.
- Works willingly and accepts assignments as given.
- Attends all mandatory meetings and programs.
- Participates in opportunities that enhance personal and professional growth.
- Performs other duties as necessary or assigned.
- Complies with the Corporate Compliance Policy and all laws, regulations, and Standards of Conduct relating to the position and agrees to report any suspected violations of law or Standards of Conduct.
- Complies with all applicable state and federal regulations and JCAHO standards.
- Maintains a safe work environment using safe work practices, utilizing standard precautions and complying with hazardous waste procedures at all times as described in St. Anthony's Safety Manual.
- Maintains the confidentiality of patient, resident, employee and organizational information.
Supervisory responsibilities as listed above.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Associate's degree (A.A.) or graduate of school of nursing.
At least one year of hospital/clinical experience preferred.
Position Requirements, Certificates, License
Licensed as a registered nurse in the State of Iowa.
Current BCLS certification.
Must have reliable transportation, current, valid driver’s license and show proof of adequate auto insurance coverage.
Must be able to accept call schedule.
Must be able to work independently and effectively.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before customers, patients, families and employees of the organization.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; talk and hear; and use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to walk and sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 21 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and blood-borne pathogens. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
If you have further questions, please call the Human Resources Department at 712-794-5111.